Broadcaster Ger Gilroy has joined forces with Limerick hurler David Breen to launch a Europe-wide initiative which encourages people to identify the source of their chronic back pain earlier.
The pair is encouraging all sports fans to make themselves more knowledgeable about inflammatory back pain and its symptoms.
- New initiative encourages people to identify the source of their chronic back pain earlier
- Around 1 in 5 adults are currently experiencing chronic lower back pain – back pain that lasts for more than 3 months.
- For approximately 3% of adults, their chronic back pain is caused by inflammation and, in some cases, it can take up to 7 years to be correctly diagnose
- Website and symptom checker will help public understand if their long-term back pain is inflammatory in nature – yourback.ie
- FAI and GAA endorsing education materials developed to coincide with the campaign
Gilroy also urged anyone who is living with chronic lower back pain for more than three months not to ignore it, to talk to their doctor, or log on to the campaign website, www.yourback.ie to fill in a short Symptom Checker.