FraudSMART is warning consumers to beware of a text message scam involving customers being contacted via a text message which references an undelivered package and asks for payment often for customs charges
With COVID-19 leading to an increase in online shopping and home delivery usage along with Brexit and changes in shipping from the UK, scammers are attempting to take advantage of possible consumer confusion.
Customers are contacted by a text message which mentions outstanding shipping costs and has a link to “Track your package”.
- Stop and think! Are you expecting a package?
- Do not respond to unsolicited text / SMS messages.
- Independently validate unsolicited texts. Do not click on links or attachments or use phone numbers given in the text messages as these can be fake.
- Never give away personal information, bank account details or security details such as your PIN or online password to anyone.
- If you think you have responded to a SMS text message scam, contact your bank immediately.
For more information on common frauds and tips for protecting yourself visit www.fraudSMART.ie where you can find a host of information, resources and can sign up for fraud alerts.