NCBI, the national sight loss organisation, is a not-for-profit organisation which provides advice, support, rehabilitation services and other training to assist people who are living with sight loss to do so independently.
As our population ages, sight loss is becoming more prevalent. About 95% of people using NCBI services have some remaining vision, while only 5% are completely blind.
Every year NCBI works with thousands of people around the country as they adjust to sight loss, enabling them to make the most of their remaining vision and to maintain their independence, through solutions such as magnifiers, technology training and mobility training (using a long cane).
NCBI can advise on the use of magnifiers to help with reading and other activities. Good lighting at home can reduce the risk of falls. Task lighting is helpful for reading, writing and preparing food and can be placed over the desk, cooker, worktop, sink or the kettle. NCBI also has an online shop with useful speaking and easy-to-see products for people with low vision, including talking watches and clocks, large print calendars and big button landline and mobile phones.
If you or anyone you know are experiencing significant difficulties with their sight contact:
NCBI at (01) 8307033. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org